Earthquakes are a fact of life in California. Almost all of us have experienced a mild to severe quake in the past. The question is, are you prepared in the event of an earthquake today? Have you done everything possible to maximize the safety of your family, pets and possessions? Have you added earthquake insurance to your homeowner's policy to minimize your financial loss in the event of a quake? FEMA has a great earthquake preparedness section on their website to help you take the steps necessary to protect your family and your home.
Here is a brief excerpt from their article "Six Ways to Plan Ahead":
1. Check for Hazards in the Home
- Fasten shelves securely to walls.
- Place large or heavy objects on lower shelves.
- Store breakable items such as bottled foods, glass, and china in low, closed cabinets with latches.
- Hang heavy items such as pictures and mirrors away from beds, couches, and anywhere people sit.
- Brace overhead light fixtures.
- Repair defective electrical wiring and leaky gas connections. These are potential fire risks.
- Secure a water heater by strapping it to the wall studs and bolting it to the floor.
- Repair any deep cracks in ceilings or foundations. Get expert advice if there are signs of structural defects.
- Store weed killers, pesticides, and flammable products securely in closed cabinets with latches and on bottom shelves.
To see the other five steps and for much more information, go here: http://www.fema.gov/hazard/earthquake/eq_before.shtm
To discuss adding earthquake insurance to your homeowners policy contact Julia at extension 227 or Renee at extension 225.
Safeco has merged with Liberty Mutual
What this means to you is an even more stable insurer with exceptional financial backing. Boston-based Liberty Mutual Group is a diversified global insurer and sixth largest property and casualty insurer in the U.S. The Company also ranks 94th on the Fortune 500 list of largest corporations in the U.S.
South Bay's FAVORITE Insurance Agency
Each year the Daily Breeze invites readers to cast their votes for South Bay's BEST in dozens of categories. NHC Insurance Services, Inc. was voted as "South Bay's Favorite 2008" insurance agency and was also voted "South Bay's BEST 2007"! We would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you who voted for us!
If you have any technical issues, questions or comments about
this site please click here
to contact our webmaster. Thank you for visiting and have
a great day!